Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A Bloggers Beginning

I've been procrastinating on this for long enough so I might as well get started. A year ago I had no idea what a blog was or why I would ever want to write one. Fortunately ample amounts of time at home, with not a lot to do afforded me with the chance to peruse the Internet, beginning to end, yes I think I found the end of it, and harvest the most interesting places for myself and my bookmarks.
In doing so I discovered all of these great blogs. Not sites, not search engines, but blogs. Real people with similar interests, some on the other side of the world, some who were friends, writing about their professional and personal lives. Writing about their endeavors, adventures, trials, and triumphs for the rest of us, the rest of the world to read. I really fell in love with this idea. With being able to share parts of your own life with others, friends, family, and strangers included, at any time, from almost any place.
Pretty cool I thought, so why not share my own experiences. I journal about them, keeping a work log when I'm out at sea. But I hardly ever share it. I can't say I haven't been encouraged though. My old man thinks I could be the next Nathaniel Phillbrick citing the lack of current maritime authors and the time I used to put into writing letters to family from afar.
But seeing how I haven't written hardly a word beyond my seafaring journals for the last four or five years I doubt it, but... it doesn't mean I can't start blogging some.
So there you have it, my grand impetus to begin contributing to this wonderful online world where we can share what we see, we do, and we experience. And maybe that will be enough to get my butt in gear and start writing the way I've always wanted to, frequently and at length.

No comments:

Post a Comment